A category-action lawsuit has been proposed in opposition to Bell by an Ontario resident who alleges that the provider is amassing “exorbitant” charges from people who find themselves putting and accepting calls from the province’s correctional services.
In line with the resident, Bell is leveraging its place as the only supplier of jail telephone providers to cost “unconscionable” charges whereas misrepresenting how a lot this truly prices.
The declare notes that one 20-minute lengthy distance telephone name prices extra that $30 CAD.
“Making prisoners’ phone calls to the outside world prohibitively expensive puts a financial and emotional strain on the prisoners and their families,” mentioned Mohsen Seddigh of Sotos Class Actions, the corporate that introduced forth the declare on behalf of the Ontario resident.
“It is grossly unfair because it isolates prisoners, inhibits rehabilitation and contributes to anxiety and depression. Bell Canada’s commitment to promoting awareness of mental health issues rings hollow in light of this practice.”
MobileSyrup has reached out to Bell for remark and can replace this story as soon as a response has been obtained.
Final month, the Authorities of Ontario confirmed that it’s working on a new prison telephone system that may permit inmates place calls to cellphones. Inmate advocates have criticized the present landline-based system for being overly punitive.
The present system will stay in place till a minimum of June, which is when the contract with Bell expires. It’s unclear what, if any, modifications could also be made following that time.
Supply: Sotos Class Actions
More from my site
- What Canadian tech innovators and innovations must be on the brand new $5 invoice
- Bell Canada near testing its AI-powered rip-off name blocking system
- Leaked renders reveal TCL slide-out idea telephone meant to be at MWC
- Bell reportedly growing $65/10GB plan worth by $5 in March
- Apple Shops reportedly providing iPhone 11 deal for Bell, Telus prospects
- Ring to tighten privateness following report that it shares information with Fb